Döring Glas – Company History

1933

Foundation of a glazier's shop in Berlin by the master glazier Franz Döring.

1951

Installation of the first glass bending furnace – particularly to produce curved glass for the construction industry as well as special curved forms for jukeboxes, automats, etc.

1954

Installation of a second glass bending furnace with improved technology for the bending of large-sized glass.

1959

Launch of production of planar insulated glass.

1969

Production of the first curved insulated glass with the common written guarantee.

1976

Production of curved laminated safety glass.

1984

Commissioning of a newly developed, continuously operating bending furnace for the manufacturing of "panorama glass for shop counters"

1987

Fundamental modernization of the furnaces installed in the 50ies, in particular by refitting latest control systems.

1989

Termination of production of planar laminated and insulated glass.

1990

Commissioning of another continuously operating bending furnace for the production of glass for shop counters with narrow bend radii.

1995

The ownership of the glass bending specialist Döring changes and Döring now belongs to Saint Gobain Deutsche Glas (former Vegla).

1996

The production of laminated safety glass changes from cast resin to PVB interlayer and the production of insulated glass changes from aluminium to swiggle-strip (warm-edge)

1999

Commissioning of the first bending furnace of a new generation, for the production of architectural glass and shopfitting glass.

2000

The second furnace of the new generation which has now been especially designed for narrow radii for shopfitting is commissioned. (shutdown of the furnaces purchased in 1984 and 1990.)

2003

The production and administration of Döring relocates to new premises at Zeppelin Gewerbepark (business park) in Berlin Spandau. In this connection another modern bending furnace for the production of large-sized glass for the architectural glass sector has been installed. The max. bending formats are now approx. 3,000 x 5,000 mm. Thanks to further investments the capacity of laminated glass has almost been doubled.